Table of Contents
Finding the best place to buy a diamond engagement ring online can be an overwhelming and daunting task. There are so many options available and it can be difficult to sort them all.
While there are plenty of places to hunt around, we’ve narrowed our search to 7 of the best engagement ring and diamond suppliers that are at the top of their game. All of these retailers specialize in offering wedding bands and engagement rings along with stocking well-crafted and beautiful jewelry items. Here’s a comparison of 7 of the best online engagement rings and diamond retailers and how they stand out.
In this article we compare the following retailers.
- Reve Diamonds: Personalized service in-store and online, with noteworthy inventory of natural and synthetic diamonds, gemstones and ring designs.
- James Allen: Unparalleled in online diamond inventory and quality imagery.
- Blue Nile: Years of experience as a top online diamond retailer, with focus on competitive pricing.
- Whiteflash: Commitment to perfect cut and the most brilliant diamonds.
- Brilliant Earth: Pricier, but focused on ethical sourcing, including lab-created diamonds and gemstones.
- Brian Gavin: Small inventory with impeccable cut quality and unique diamond collections.
- Leibish: Pricier but best for impeccable colored diamonds and gemstones.
1. Reve Diamonds
With two showrooms in both London and New York, the company offers the best of both worlds – whether you want to shop for your engagement ring online or in-store. Unlike many of the stores on this list, Reve Diamonds makes it easy to customize your ring, and their friendly staff will walk you through the process.
What’s Great about Reve Diamonds
- Reve Diamonds offers an inventory of around 40,000 earth-mined, colored, and lab-grown diamonds, a large range of unique and stylish engagement ring designs, and diamond jewelry. They are committed to offering ethically sourced diamonds, all of which are conflict-free stones.
- Reve Diamonds works as a diamond wholesaler, offering their stones at competitive prices.
- The company offers only GIA-certified diamonds. The GIA is known for their stringent grading process for diamonds and is the most well-respected of all the grading labs.
- Each diamond comes with its lab report, and many have 360-degree videos. You can also have the assistance of jewelers in the showroom via Live Chat, WhatsApp, or a virtual appointment via Zoom to make the purchasing process smoother. The friendly customer reps are available to assist with any other information that you may require about the product.
- Reve Diamonds offers a 30-days free returns policy, and all their products are shipped insured worldwide.
- Reve Diamonds are also ideal if you’re looking to create a custom ring or tweak a ring from their collection. In this case, you will be involved in the design process with a turnaround time of up to 2.5 weeks. They will work with you, regardless of where you are located, to create what you’re after at your budget.
- What’s more, they offer a price match guarantee if you would like to work with them but can see a similar diamond for a cheaper price elsewhere.
The Downsides of Reve Diamonds
Reve Diamonds has a smaller inventory than some of its competitors, so you may not have as many options. However, they make up for by being able to show you the actual stones as most are in stock, and they also offer personalized service and competitive pricing.
2. James Allen
You are bound to come across James Allen if you take your engagement ring search online. They are, hands down, one of the best online diamond retailers. What makes them different to others is their innovation and streamlining of the engagement ring buying process.
Related: Check detailed review here.
What’s Great about James Allen
James Allen has a massive inventory with over a 270,000 loose gemstones and ready-made jewelry listed on their site. All these are available at your fingertips to explore with detailed images of the actual product, and not just a stock photo. Part of the reason for being able to have such a large selection is because they don’t own or stock them all. James Allen has exclusive deals with vendors around the world, mostly around New York and Maryland.
- James Allen is one of the only top diamond retailers to offer lab-created diamonds, allowing you to pick a quality stone to suit your budget.
- Every diamond listed has 360-degree video including SuperZoom. This means that you get to see the actual diamond before you buy at 40x magnification.
- They offer a wide range of ring styles and settings.
- The company offers 24/7 customer service and Chat with a Diamond Expert.
- James Allen’s staff is professional and knowledgeable; taking the time to answer your questions.
- The website is clear and easy-to-navigate, with the option of building your own ring.
- There is a good range of diamond information for the non-diamond savvy.
- Your order comes in quality classy packaging.
- James Allen offers free engraving services.
The Downsides of James Allen
Unfortunately, shipping is not free for international returns, which means that if you don’t like your purchase, you will have to shoulder the fee.
Also, if you wish to see the Idealscope image of certain diamonds and other gemstones, you have to make a request. They then bring in the diamond and have it photographed, which can take some time.
3. Blue Nile
Blue Nile is one of the oldest and most established online diamond retailers, with a wide base of satisfied clients. If you take your search to Blue Nile, they will almost definitely have what you are looking for. But you will need time to sift through their massive inventory in search of your ideal stone.
What’s Great about Blue Nile
Blue Nile has something to fit even the narrowest of budgets. They are among the most affordable diamond retailers and offer a price match guarantee for their loose diamonds. If you find a similar diamond for a less price elsewhere, they will match it.
- Blue Nile has a large inventory with over 200,000 diamonds to choose from. Like James Allen, they have contracts with jewelers and diamond sellers from around the world.
- They offer 360-degree videos and photos for the majority of their diamonds.
- Blue Nile also has a wide range of colored diamonds, pearls, gemstone jewelry and designer jewelry.
- They offer diamond education with an exhaustive supply of diamond-related information.
- There are installment plans and financial options for all.
The Downsides of Blue Nile
Many of the photographs available are low-resolution and they’re generic. You can’t see the diamonds in any detailed way.
Another thing that some customers complain about is that the packaging by Blue Nile is beautiful but not highly impressive.
Another downside is that, if you don’t like your purchase, you have to pay for the insurance and shipping; returning items over $500 can be a lengthy process that involves a fair bit of paperwork.
And finally, Blue Nile charges $30 for engraving, whereas some retailers do this service for free.
Whiteflash has earned an international reputation for the elite quality of their precision cut diamonds, and for their impeccable collection of designer engagement rings. They are the place to go for diamonds of exceptional sparkle and stunning cut quality.
What’s Great about Whiteflash
- Whiteflash offers an excellent in-house inventory of fully vetted and imaged ideal diamonds. You can be sure that every diamond offered at Whiteflash is of superior quality.
- Whiteflash are the developer and exclusive provider of A CUT ABOVE® Super Ideals – a diamond range that features the very best in diamond cut.
- At Whiteflash, you will find an impressive range of designer brands, as the company is the authorized distributor for several well-known names. Some of these brands include Tacori, Verragio, Danhov, and Valoria.
- The company has won several awards for their service and product quality, including the BBB Pinnacle Award.
- The Whiteflash website is packed with information on each diamond or setting, including HD Video of most of their products.
- If you purchase a diamond from Whiteflash, you will have access to their 100% Lifetime Trade-Up option available on all their in-house diamonds.
- Their diamond jewelry come with a one Year Care Plan included and Three-Year Ultimate Care available for purchase if you would like to extend that.
- Whiteflash offers free shipping and returns.
The Downsides of Whiteflash
Whiteflash only offers premium products, and these come at a price. However, what you pay for a Whiteflash diamond is well worth the price. Their diamonds are comparable to the very best names in diamond jewelry.
Their Virtual Inventory is selective and more limited than other vendors and the turnaround time is quick, meaning that you may lose the diamond you are eyeing if you don’t secure it quick.
Apart from that, one other downside is that Whiteflash only have one showroom in Texas.
Read our detailed review of Whiteflash here.
5. Brilliant Earth
For those who want an ethical and sustainable edge, Brilliant Earth is the place to go. The company is committed to humane and responsible sourcing of their diamonds, gemstones, and metals. They support a number of charities, are involved in support organizations for diamond mining, and are pushing for more sustainable processes in the diamond industry.
Related: Check our detailed review here.
What’s Great about Brilliant Earth
Brilliant Earth has a healthy inventory of mined and lab-grown diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and others. They also have moissanite, which give the ethical and budget conscious shopper more options.
- Brilliant Earth offers an array of niche products such as vintage, antique, and recycled jewelry and metals.
- Brilliant Earth ensures that each of their diamonds come with a certificate of origin so you know exactly where your diamond came from.
- They have a wide range of exclusive designs and settings.
- If you prefer a tactile experience before buying jewelry, Brilliant Earth has 14 showrooms across the United States.
- They offer a clear and easy-to-navigate website with many specific search filters.
- Their packaging is high quality, classy and unique. Brilliant Earth’s ring box comprises renewable materials and handcrafted wood.
- Brilliant Earth offers shipping both ways. So, if you don’t like your ring, they pay your return shipping. Also, they offer free resizing for 30 days, lifetime guarantee and upgrade policies.
- Their customer service is friendly and knowledgeable. They will spend time with you until you find what you are looking for.
- They have 24/7 Live Chat on their website, making it easy to have your questions answered regardless of where you are.
The Downsides of Brilliant Earth
Brilliant Earth is not the most cost-effective online diamond retailer. While their products are of very good quality, customers complain of higher prices.
6. Brian Gavin Diamonds
Brian Gavin Diamonds offers a wide variety of gemstones with impeccable cut quality and stunning brilliance. Brian Gavin is all about taking standards to the next level. They are forever fine-tuning their cut processes and exploring new ways to elevate fire quality.
These gemstones are in the top 1% of the finest diamonds but come at relatively reasonable prices. Even their rubies and emeralds are relatively easy on the bank account. This is a respected name in the online diamond world and you will not find a diamond with better sparkle anywhere.
Related: Check detailed review here.
What’s Great about Brian Gavin
Choosing a diamond from Brian Gavin online is easy, quick, and simple. They provide all the data needed to make a decision. There are photos, videos, light performance imagery (ASET and Idealscope) as well as certification and reports for many stones listed. You set the parameters, find a diamond, and check out the data.
- Brian Gavin’s diamonds have exceptional fire, brilliance, and scintillation with a stellar cut quality.
- Brian Gavin Black offers a patent-pending gemstone cutting technique that pushes the boundaries of perfection. Each stone is hand-inspected by Brian Gavin himself prior to shipping to ensure quality.
- The company caters to a range of budgets, lifestyles, tastes and income brackets; you get what you pay for.
- However, sales turnover is quick. If there’s a diamond you want, its best to talk to one of Brian Gavin’s experts so they can put it on the side for you until you make a final decision.
- The customer service is very good, including live chat. The staff is professional and knowledgeable and will patiently answer all your questions.
- The packaging that Brian Gavin offers is of excellent quality.
The Downsides of Brian Gavin Diamonds
Brian Gavin has a very small inventory they house themselves. This is why they are able to offer such high quality. But small inventory means limited choices, so you have to get in fast. If you delay, the diamond you were eyeing may be snatched by someone else.
While most retailers offer a 30-day return policy, Brian Gavin only gives you 15 days to return a product. This isn’t a lot of time for some people.
You pay for the quality you receive. While they are more affordable than big brand names that offer the similar products, Brian Gavin can be more expensive than most of their online competition. It comes down to what you prioritize.
7. Leibish & Co.
Leibish & Co is a family-run diamond business that has cemented their status as possibly the best online colored diamond retailer. They were among the first to start selling diamonds online in 1995. Leibish has high standards for every gemstone they offer along with excellent service. They offer diamonds from every shade of the spectrum and have access to some of the most coveted diamonds, such as the rare Argyle Pink Diamond.
Related: Check detailed review here.
What’s Great about Leibish
Leibish owns and stocks all diamonds listed on their site. This factor adds to their impeccable reputation because they are able to examine and work on every stone to meet their high standards.
You would be hard-pressed to find better craftsmanship. Leibish has the knowledge and expertise to maximize the color of the diamond by helping to select the ideal setting for the stone. Remember, with colored diamonds it’s all about the color and less about the fire.
- They offer a good range of beautiful settings. All their settings come with detailed and meticulous workmanship, paying attention to minute details in order to maximize the beauty of the diamond.
- Leibish has a large inventory of diamonds, colored diamonds, sapphires, emeralds, rubies, aquamarines, and others.
- The Leibish packaging is elegant and worthy of the products they hold.
- You will have excellent customer support throughout the buying process via live chat or phone calls. The customer representative will do their best to accommodate your specific requirements.
- The after sales policies are excellent as well. For starters, they offer free shipping worldwide. In case you don’t like your ring, you will have a 30-day money back guarantee, with no questions asked. Leibish offer a 2-year warranty on all items and a servicing policy along with one free ring resizing for up to 60 days.
- The website is clear and easy to navigate. You have the option to design your own ring or check out their pre-made jewelry. Leibish also have a good selection of gemstone jewelry on their site. You can also have your ring custom made according to your particular specifications.
- All the diamonds and gemstones come with authentic photos. Most of the inventory comes with zoomable images as well as 360-degree video. Each diamond also has a grading report from GIA.
- They have a very comprehensive education section on their website which helps you to learn about the differences in the colored diamonds and what makes them special. Their FAQ section is also very detailed and useful.
The Downsides of Leibish
If budget is a concern, note that the settings at Leibish are more expensive. Very few loose stones and other jewelry fall below $1,000.
Also, Leibish don’t show the prices of every piece and stone they offer, you have to inquire about it.
While there are many other retailers online who also deserve credit, these seven are among the biggest, the most reputable, as well as some of the longest standing online retailers. Each of them offer something different, and have a focus on a specific aspect, and each has several downsides as well. It’s best to further explore each of these retailers, to see which is a good fit for you.