As Jewelry Shopping Guide editors, we write about things that we love and we think you’ll like too. We often have affiliate partnerships, and may generate some revenue from these links at no cost to you.
Veganism as a movement has seen surging popularity in recent years and has grown in ways that most people hadn’t anticipated.
There’s vegan everything now – vegan-friendly clothing, vegan fast food and even vegan jewelry.
Let’s take a look at some vegan jewelry ideas.
What is Vegan Jewelry?
Veganism as a movement has been growing exponentially in the last few years and has entered the mainstream. No longer identified as a fad, veganism is seen by many as part of the solution for many health, environmental and animal welfare problems plaguing modern society.
So it’s not surprising then that vegan jewelry is also a thing, as people seek out jewelry options that align with their views.
Vegan jewelry can mean two things:
- Jewelry with vegan themes
- Jewelry made in sustainable ways using vegan materials
Vegan Jewelry Themes
While veganism can be represented in many ways, the most popular are through vegetables and fruits, quotes and slogans. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
Fruit and Vegetable Jewelry Ideas – Because It’s Fun and Quirky
Wearing jewelry featuring fruit designs is fun and quirky and still gets the message across. Unlike vegan quote jewelry, fruit themed jewelry is not in your face and can be more subtle. Anyone can wear jewelry featuring fruit, not just vegans, but it’s a way to show your love of plant-based options.
Realistic looking fruit and vegetable jewelry from PlantPosse
Some popular fruit featured in jewelry are avocados, coconutes peaches and blueberries. Of these, avocados seem to be the favorite. They’re arguably the most popular fruit at the moment which is why we’ve dedicated the next section to avocado!
Avocado Because Who Doesn’t Love it!
Avocados are the favorite of millennials, who also brought veganism into the limelight. It’s the quintessential power fruit, that seems to be able to do everything. Who needs animal products when they have avocados, right?
The funny looking fruit also makes for very cute designs, especially when cut in half. It’s perfect for best friend jewelry as the two sides come together to complete the fruit. Avocado also lends itself to so many jokes and memes that give so much personality to the fruit.
Avocado pendant. See it here.
Avocado can be incorporated into any type of jewelry, which includes interesting mismatched stud earrings, bff friendship necklaces, charm bracelets and even rings. Whether colored green and yellow or crafted in metal, avocado in jewelry immediately catches the attention.
Vegan Quotes Jewelry
What better way to say something than to say something out straight? Jewelry featuring vegan quotes is ideal as a constant reminder to you of your chosen values or to others of what you believe in.
Popular vegan quotes for jewelry include:
- Love animals, eat plants
- Speak for those who have no voice
- Vegan AF
- Let food be thy medicine
- I am the voice for the voiceless
- Live meaningfully
- Live kindly
- Be the change you wish to see in the world
- Live gently upon this earth
- The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals – Gandhi
- Be kind to every kind
- Animals are my friends and I don’t eat my friends
- Vegan for all life
- Where to I get my protein? Bitch… peas!
- Join the vegang!
- Choose the fork
Whether engraved onto a pendant or cuff bracelet, or printed and set in a resin pendant, there are many ways to choose to wear a vegan quote.
Plants and Leaves Jewelry
Another excellent idea is to choose jewelry that features plants and leaves. This again, is a subtle and quiet reminder of your vegan lifestyle but may not be obvious to everyone else.
Beautiful lucite leaf jewelry. see it here.
If, however, you want the jewelry to make more of a statement, then choose something that is more direct. The V earrings below feature leaves but they also stand for vegan, making a clearer statement than achievable by simply wearing a leaf.
The vegan logo. See these here.
Vegan Leather Jewelry
If you love leather but you don’t want to wear cowhide, vegan leather is an excellent option. Jewelry made out of vegan leather looks exactly like the real thing and often feels the same way too.
Triple wrap vegan leather bracelet. See it here.
Vegan leather is typically made of cork and feels lightweight and comfortable. Vegan leather can be made into various types of jewelry designs and depending on the quality and materials it’s made of, can be highly durable.
Jewelry Materials that Aren’t Vegan
Regular jewelry uses unethical materials which can include the following:
- Leather – Everyone knows that genuine leather comes from cows. Leather has been used in jewelry making for centuries but today there are kinder substitutes.
- Pearls – Beautiful as they are, pearls are the product of a cruel industry that kills millions of oysters and mussels in the process. In addition, the animals are kept in cruel conditions with invasive procedures conducted on them.
- Elephant Hair and Leather – Elephant hair makes for stylish and unique bracelets and rings, but while some ethical manufacturers collect the hair from places where elephants have rubbed themselves, most elephant hair used in jewelry come from poached Elephant leather is also used for many products, including jewelry. Avoiding any product that features materials from elephants is the way to go.
Why Wear Vegan Jewelry?
After going through the list above, you might be wondering what reasons a person may have in wearing vegan jewelry. Here are the top reasons:
- Being a vegan can be hard and having a reminder close at hand can make it easy to remember why you’ve chosen this lifestyle
- It’s an excellent way to raise awareness about the importance of being vegan or eating a plant-based diet. The jewelry could be a starting point for a discussion that could change how someone thinks about food and animals.
- It shows solidarity. When you meet someone else from the same ‘club’ as you, it can make you feel less alone, excited and happy that others share your views too. Wearing vegan jewelry will make it easy for others to identify you as vegan and who knows, could lead to making new friends!
Where to Find Vegan Jewelry
If you’re looking for vegan themed jewelry or jewelry made using vegan materials, Etsy is an excellent place to start your search. With high quality designers and a range of options to choose from at affordable prices, there’s something for everyone here.
You can also find jewelers that are committed to providing sustainable, ethical and vegan-friendly accessories.
Ready to have a browse? Check out vegan jewelry here.