- Medical Alert Jewelry – the most functional and yet fashionable piece of jewelry you will own
Medical Alert Jewelry – the most functional and yet fashionable piece of jewelry you will own
If you are on this page, chances are you already know what medical alert jewelry is and whether you need one or not. Some people prefer to get a beautiful yet functional tattoo, while others go the old-fashioned way of carrying their information in a card in their purse. Maybe you are not into needles and are afraid that a wallet/purse may be difficult to find in an emergency. In this case, then a piece of medical ID jewelry will probably be the best option for you.
What is medical alert jewelry?
It is a tag or symbol that lets emergency medical technicians know that you have a medical condition. The piece of jewelry provides information about your condition and yourself. While the information you choose to include on the ID depends on your preference, the most commonly provided are your first and last name, medical condition/s, allergies and emergency contact number.
Where should you wear it?
Medical alert jewelry is commonly worn on a neck chain or on a bracelet. There is a wide range of medical alert bracelets, necklaces and pendants available, especially online. You can also wear it the medical alert jewelry as an anklet (ankle bracelet). EMTs generally check the wrists and neck for a medical ID though, so wearing your medical alert jewelry there would be sensible. While a neck chain is more discreet, a bracelet is handier during an emergency. Again, you can choose what works best for you.
Why should you wear medical alert jewelry?
The purpose of the medical ID is to let any medical provider know of the condition you have even if you are not able to communicate it yourself. This can be life-saving because you will be able to receive quick treatment that is suitable for your condition. Most first – responders in an emergency look for a medical ID for more information. In other words, a piece of medical alert jewelry is a critical item and can speak for you when you can’t speak for yourself.
What do you need to consider when choosing your medical alert jewelry?
- Most medical alert jewelry bear the Star of Life insignia to make it instantly recognizable. If it doesn’t come with this symbol, you probably should request it.
- Durability would be one of the main factors that affect your choice. Choose a material that has a longer life for your medical ID. Medical alert jewelry usually come in metal (gold, silver, stainless steel, and copper), leather, fabric or silicone. While the other options are beautiful, they may not last as long as metal.
- If you have any allergies to metal, you would need to consider either backing the metal with some other material, such as leather or fabric, or choosing a hypoallergenic metal such as gold.
- Also consider the amount of information you need engraved on your medical alert jewelry. This would affect the overall design and style of the piece. For example, a dog tag is a stylish way to have a lot more information engraved. It is also inconspicuous as many people nowadays wear dog-tags as a fashion statement.
- It should be a piece of jewelry that you can wear in water, at work, at fashionable and dressy events and during heavy duty activities. Consider interchangeable bracelets, for example, to save yourself money and give yourself more style options.
What types of medical alert jewelry should I buy?
There are many types of medical alert jewelry available on the market. What you choose depends on your specific requirements. You can buy a simple engraved medical alert bracelet or tag that has your critical information.
There is also the option of purchasing a medical alert bracelet that has a USB stick attached to it. While this may seem like a good idea, there are many downsides to this, such as the violation of a number of privacy and technology rules (think potential viruses, data compromise etc…).
You can also purchase a medical alert bracelet with a QR code attached, but this would only be useful if you have a lot of information to share. These are fine for after the emergency, when you are in a controlled environment where medical professionals can access your information.
The most important details need to be clearly visible and easily accessible on your neck or wrist. In that regard, nothing beats having a medical alert bracelet or necklace, with your information simply engraved on it.
Where can I buy medical alert jewelry?
Many reputable pharmacies have medical alert jewelry for sale. These are usually straightforward in design and quite affordable. However, if you are after something more stylish and chic, then it’s best to take your search online.
You will have a wider range of options to choose from. There are sites that specialize in medical IDs, such as Lauren’s Hope and American Medical ID. These sites give you a wide variety of stylish and fashionable medical jewelry options. Ebay, Amazon and Etsy also have a range of unique and beautiful medical alert jewelry that you are bound to love.
Can medical alert jewelry be fashionable?
Of course! In the past, wearing a piece of medical alert jewelry was like wearing a label, plain, boring and unimaginative, but now there are many fashionable options available. In fact, your medical alert jewelry can be a fashion statement. Just as you would with regular jewelry, you can have a few different medical alert bracelets or pendants, and change them to suit your outfit or mood. In this way, your medical ID will be something you will love to wear!