Table of Contents
Gold bracelets for men are an easy way to add a touch of style and sophistication. But they come in lots of different shapes and sizes. This means that different men’s gold bracelets can work with completely different clothing and styles. Here are our guidelines on how to choose and wear a gold bracelet.
Types of Gold Bracelets for Men
The gold bracelets niche can feel surprisingly wide and diverse if this is your first time delving into it. In fact, settling on just several different types of bracelets is next to impossible given how many sub-types and combinations of styles there are.
When looking for a gold bracelet, there are several factors to consider, including strength, aesthetics, and value. However, to give you the basics of what you can look for, here are some of the most popular types of gold bracelets for men:
1. Cuban Link Bracelets
The Cuban gold link bracelet is one of the most famous types of men’s gold bracelets. If you opt for a thicker version, these chains are impressive, durable, and heavy, a bracelet for men who want to capture others’ attention. However, choose a thinner version for a more subtle style.
- This is a very durable jewelry piece. The gold is still a pretty soft metal so you should be careful not to damage it but the bracelet itself should give you no problems.
- A truly eye-catching accessory piece.
- The Cuban is quite a heavy type of bracelet so men who work with their hands may not appreciate that.
- This type of bracelet is associated with certain underground archetypes which can be either a pro or a con, depending on what you’re looking for.
How to style it?
As its name implies, the Cuban works best with a Miami summer-time style – light but expensive shirts and pants, summer hats, as well as other gold jewelry pieces. In other words – the “casual but expensive” style.
2. Gold Chain Bracelets
Chain bracelets encompass most types of men’s bracelets and bring lots of advantages to the table. They can come in varying styles, however, and it’s not uncommon for a bracelet to be made out of two or three different styles too. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Simple gold chain bracelets – Curb, Figaro, cable, box chain, and others
- Gold carpet chain bracelets
- Byzantine gold chain bracelets
- Spiral gold chain bracelets
- Chainmaille gold bracelets
- A combination of any two of the above and others
- Gold chain bracelets are extremely durable. When the chain is constructed properly, it’s very hard to break – it’s easier to damage the gold itself than the chain’s construction.
- Chain bracelets can be as thick or thin as you want them to be.
- Meshing up two or more types of chains can create many unique and captivating designs.
- Given the sheer diversity of chain bracelet types, it’s nigh-impossible to pinpoint a drawback that some chain types don’t neutralize.
How to style it?
Gold chain bracelets can be styled in various ways, depending on the chain. Thicker and more elaborated chains like the Byzantine, chainmaille, or carpet chains are quite extravagant and are typically meant for the more flashy and striking clothing styles.
On the other hand, slimmer and more simplistic chains such as the box chain, the Figaro, cable, curb, or others go very well with both casual and formal styles.
3. Gold Ball Link Bracelets
Ball or bead link bracelets can look very different depending on the size and spacing of the golden beads. Ball link bracelets with extra space between the beads are more flexible and easier to wear while links with larger and closer-knit beads can look more imposing.
- Even with bigger beads, the ball link bracelets is fairly lightweight and easy to wear
- Despite its simple design, the ball link chain is quite eye-catching and works well with more flashy clothing styles
- Ball link bracelets are not as durable as other chain-type bracelets which is why we’re mentioning them separately
- This type of link is more popular as a pendant necklace, usually for dog tags
How to style it?
Like other chain bracelets, the ball link bracelet doesn’t work as well with casual wear but is instead preferred with more extravagant clothing.
4. Gold Watchband Bracelets
The watchband bracelet looks exactly as it sounds – it’s modeled after the standard watchbands only it’s usually even wider and made of gold. This makes it an incredibly striking and captivating accessory that’s not for casual wear.
- When the connecting elements are sturdy and well-made, the expansion bracelet can be very durable
- Due to its design, the expansion bracelet can fit different widths.
- Like the carpet chain bracelet, this is a truly eye-catching jewelry piece that’s meant to catch the attention
- Bracelets as grandiose as the expansion gold bracelet have relatively limited uses as they don’t go with every clothing style
- This can be a very heavy piece of jewelry
How to style it?
This type of bracelet is mostly suitable for the “casual but expensive” styles typical for nightclubs and parties. They don’t really go well with casual wear. They can be made to work with formal wear, especially if the band is not overly thick but that’s on a case-by-case basis.
5. Gold Cuff Bracelets
This is a comfortable and stylish design that impresses with its simplicity. Depending on the width of the bracelet it can range from anywhere between classy to flamboyant.
- Durable one-piece design
- Classic and even “antique” look that’s quite unique today
- Can come in various sizes, styles and finishes
- Can feel a bit too “forcefully simplistic” for some people’s preferences.
How to style it?
Depending on its size and width, a hammered gold bracelet can either look fanciful or classy. As such, you can style it however you want, even with casual wear.
The Value and Price of Men’s Gold Bracelets
Gold bracelets for men are typically made out of solid gold and don’t really include any additional metals or gemstones. There are exceptions to this, but the norm is that such bracelets are made out of gold only.
As a result, their value is usually quite easy to determine – it’s based on the value of the gold used and its weight. Branding can play a role too but that’s rare. So, while an extra-heavy 18K gold men’s bracelet can cost a 4-digit sum of money, most lighter 14K or even 9K gold bracelets can easily be found in the lower hundreds.
For an affordable option, consider gold-plated or gold vermeil jewelry. These are affordable and durable, but don’t have the prestige or value that solid gold jewelry has.
Inexpensive Alternatives to Gold Bracelets For Men
If you want to buy a large gold men’s bracelet but you don’t want to break the bank, there are some alternatives:
- Gold-plated jewelry: This type of jewelry is made from base metals that have been plated with gold to give it the classic golden look. This metal base is typically zinc, copper, silver, aluminum, nickel, or even stainless steel or brass. The drawback of this type of jewelry – other than the decreased value – is that accidentally scratching the surface plating can expose the metal underneath. On the other hand, such bracelets can easily be re-plated and if the metal below the plating is harder than gold, this can make for a more durable bracelet.
- Gold-filled jewelry: This type of metal is made by bonding gold with another metal through a heat-extensive and complex process. The end result is a gold lookalike metal that’s more durable, tarnish-resistant, and valuable than gold plating jewelry.
- Bonded gold jewelry: This jewelry is made by literally bonding a sheet of 14K or 18K gold over a base of another metal, usually silver. Essentially, this sheet of gold acts as an extra-thick layer of gold-plating. As a result, this type of jewelry is more durable and more valuable than gold-plated jewelry.
A gold bracelet is a stylish accessory that can add just the right amount of style. Whether you’re a minimalist or prefer eye-catching, statement pieces, there’s a gold bracelet for you. Pick a bracelet that matches your style and purpose of use. If you want to know more about types of gold chains, check out our in-depth guide here.