As Jewelry Shopping Guide editors, we write about things that we love and we think you’ll like too. We often have affiliate partnerships, and may generate some revenue from these links at no cost to you.
Box Chains are recognized as one of the most popular chain styles and are worn by both men and women. Box Chain necklaces, with or without pendants, and bracelets are stylish, durable and versatile, making for the perfect accessory for any outfit.
What are Box Chains?
14K Gold Plate Box Chain. See it here.
Box Chains are also known as square link chains, briolette’s, or Venetian chains. As the name suggests, these chains are forged from square or box shaped wires. Each box is perfectly cut into four equal sides, and has a flat, sparkly surface. An individual box is connected on both sides with same-shaped squares, to create a perfectly symmetrical chain. When these boxes are aligned together, they have a shiny glint, and resemble a glittery river of silver or gold.
If you’re looking to buy box chains, we recommend starting your search on Etsy for a wide range of box chains at every price point. Click here to start browsing.
Pros of Box Chains
Box Chains are usually desired for their strength and durability. But let’s take a look at some of the other merits and advantages of Box Chains.
- Fixability: Despite the fact that Box Chains don’t easily wear down, there might be instances where the links break off or become damaged. This isn’t a major cause for concern, as the damaged link can be easily replaced, reattached, and fixed without compromising the integrity of the entire chain.
- Versatility: Box Chains are admired for their versatility, and there are plenty of designs for both men and women to choose from. A pair of matching Box Chains can also be chosen by couples, as a symbol of their love and commitment.
- Durability: It’s widely known that Box Chains are one of the sturdiest types of chains, due to their inter-linking wires and box shaped structures. They don’t break easily and can be used for day-to-day wear. These chains last for a very long time if properly cared for and maintained.
Cons of Box Chains
Box Chains also have a few disadvantages, and it would be useful for the buyer to be aware of them before purchasing the chain. Let’s take a closer look at some of the downsides of Box Chains.
- Thin Chains: Box Chains that are very thin can break easily, so thicker ones are better for those looking for durable pieces. Nevertheless, despite the risks, some people still prefer sleek chains for their lightweight and delicate appearance.
- Heavy Pendants: Box Chains that are worn with heavy pendants can get stretched with time. They may also become thin and stiff if they are yanked or pulled on.
Types of Box Chains
Classic 14K gold box chain by Blue Nile. See it here.
Box Chains come in a wide range of styles, and there are plenty of options to choose from. Some of the most popular and trendy chains are:
- Classical/ Standard Box Chain: The Standard Box Chain is the predecessor of all other chain designs. It’s characterized by some distinct features, such as its four sides, straight edges, flat surfaces, and polished look.
- Mirror Box Chain: The Mirror Box Chain consists of box shaped links that are closely woven with each other. Due to the intricately connected links, the chain appears like a river of metal, and creates a mirror effect. The mirror box looks best when worn along with a pendant.
- Rounded Box Chain: Rounded Box Chains are made up of domed shaped surfaces rather than flat ones. The dome design perfectly complements large statement pendants or lockets.
Double Box Chain: The Double Box Chain is attached with horizontal links, with a surface that’s stacked with two box-shaped wires. These box-shaped links are clubbed with each other to form a square or a cube shape.
- Triple Box Chain: The Triple Box Chain is similar to the Double Box, except that it has three stacked links, instead of two.
- Greek Box Chain: The Greek Box Chain is influenced by the patterns and designs of ancient Greece. Its box structure is meticulously crafted to form a 45-degree angle. Here’s an example of this unique chain style.
Box Chain Widths
Box Chain widths can range anywhere between 0.8 mm to 2 mm or more. Women generally prefer chains that are on the thinner end of the scale. This of course is a matter of preference, as thicker chains are ideal worn on their own for a statement look.
Men’s chains usually begin at a width of 1.5 mm. These chains are usually thicker, and a medium width would be around 2mm. Although there are Box Chains that can go beyond 2 mm, most men prefer to buy chains with a medium thickness.
Symbolic Meanings of Box Chains
It’s a lesser-known fact that Box Chains are admired and purchased for their symbolic meanings. Their square shaped links, perfect symmetry, and uniform edges signify consistency and honesty. Their design and structure are also believed to represent reliability, security and conformity. Those who buy Box Chains are sure to feel more stable and secure, due to their simple, yet sturdy design.
Accessories for Box Chains
Box Chains can be finished with a touch of diamond cutting to enhance the look of the chain. Chains with diamond cutting have an added shimmer, sparkle, and shine. Depending on the taste and preference of the wearer, the designer can also imprint designs onto the surface of the chain.
Some people also like to wear pendants or lockets on their Box Chain. The uniqueness of this chain lies in the fact that any type of pendant can be worn with it, and all designs are suitable. The only thing that must be kept in mind is that larger pendants and lockets should be worn with thicker chains for more grit and durability.
How to Style Box Chains
Box Chains are great for both causal and formal wear. They can be worn every day, and they are versatile enough to suit any outfit. Since Box Chains aren’t overly sparkly or extravagant, the wearer can choose to wear any type of locket or pendant with them.
When at home or at work, a simple pendant with minimal designs can be chosen. For a party or a celebration, a grander pendant can be worn to complement a formal and classy outfit.
For a strong, statement look, consider wearing a thicker box chain by itself. You can choose the length of the box chain based on your personal preference or to suit your attire.
Box Chains continue to grow and evolve even today. They have a design that can be adapted and modified according to any time, place or context. It’s this versatility of the Box Chain, that has made it one of the most desired and popular styles in contemporary society.